Chowder is one of those dishes that is soothing, filling, and smells nearly as good as it tastes. It’s the perfect thing to make on a chilly night. And at its heart, you can put anything you want into it.
Make Ultimate Autumn Sweet Potato Chowder with Kale and Sausage
Once the days get shorter and the weather turns brisk, it’s time to bring out the comfort foods. And there is no better food to eat when it’s cold outside than soup. Autumn Sweet Potato Chowder with Kale and Sausage has a slightly spicy kick to it from the sausage and a mellow sweetness from the potatoes. The kale in this soup might be intimidating for some people, but believe me when I say that this soup will be transformed from boring to delicious by adding just a little.
- Surely ready 2 large sweet potatoes
- Prepare 1 Large shallot or yellow onion
- Take 2 Links Italian Sausage
- Prepare 6 cups Kale
- Add 2 large carrots
- Make ready 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Add 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- Take 5 cups Chicken broth
- Add 3 cups water
- Make ready 2 Tbsp flour
- Prepare 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- Make ready 1-2 Tblsp of shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes and carrots into 1 inch pieces
- In a large pot add Olive oil turn to medium heat chop up scallions
- Add to pot with Salt saute for a 1 minute
- Add potatoes and carrots saute for 3 minutes
- Add chicken broth and water to pot then add Kale to combine cook for 1.5 hours or until potatoes start to soften.
- Take sausage out of casings chop up and with a saute pan
- Add sausage to medium high heat and cook until browned add to chowder pot.
- In small bowl add flour and milk whisk till combined add to pot stir to combine simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes till thickened add black pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
- After 20 minutes check potatoes with got to for doneness fork should go through potato
- Once cooked through serve in bowl I toasted up some scampi bread topped chowder with shredded Parmesan Cheese enjoy
This recipe is made with sweet potatoes, but this time of year their are some really great tasting ones at the market or grocery store. We are using Delicata for this chowder which is an excellent choice during Autumn. One of my secrets for selecting good pumpkins is to find the ones with the most “eye” .